Happy March! Spring is rolling in very quickly here in Montana, unlike some other places in the country, we have had a mild winter, but spring is always a welcome sight. On a hike today I saw my first wild flower, crazy but true.
When I started down the path of cleaner eating, I realized that my beloved potato chips would not be on the “okay to eat list”…. (well I’ve always known that potato chips or any chips really aren’t the most nutritious foods around, but they are so dang tasty).
I don’t know very many people who don’t love or at least like potato chips or corn chips or tortilla chips. In my effort to mostly (I am human so partake sometimes) cut them out of my diet, I searched high and low for a crunchy salty satisfying replacement. I was falling short of finding anything, until one day at a local natural foods store, I stumbled upon plantain chips. I immediately bought them and was very pleased with the crunchy salty taste and finally felt I wasn’t missing out.
Fast forward a few years later, I realized how easy it was to make these babies at home with better oil and at a fraction of the price!! Sometimes I just want a vehicle for dips or guacamole that isn’t raw vegetables, something salty and crunchy without bad seed oils or GMO corn and I have found the answer.
I love plantains they are nutrient dense and so versatile, I know this is blasphemous to some, but if there was a plantain god or goddess I would worship them.
Paleo Plantain Chips
1 Large Green Plantain (yes the greener the better, less sugar= more starch = more crunch)
1 1/2 TBL Coconut Oil Melted
- Using a mandolin or a food processor slice the plantain into 1/16 inch rounds.
- Grease two cookie sheets with coconut oil and mix the rest in with the plantain chips so they are well coated with oil.
- Place each round in rows onto the cookie sheet with no overlap and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake in a 300 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until the chips are just starting to brown (test for crunchiness).
- Let cool and devour !!! Makes approximately 85 chips (you may want to double the recipe they are soooo good!)