Even if you don’t like Brussel sprouts, I bet you will like them prepared this way. I had my first taste of these babies last year when my husband and I went out to dinner. They were delicious, however I felt bad when I found out they were fried in, of all things, soybean oil !!! Seed oils are not good for you, period, so I decided I would make these at home and avoid any more restaurant surprises.
My first attempts didn’t work out to well, as I was trying to fry them in a pot on an electric stove. For those of you that cook on electric, you know it is next to impossible to maintain a stable heat. They turned out soggy or burnt.
I finally decided to buy myself a little deep fat fryer, thank goodness for Amazon Prime and the ability to impulse shop your heart out. I am very pleased with the little fryer (pictured above) that I ended up with. I wanted something that didn’t require too much oil, as I planned on using coconut oil and as you may or may not know it is a tad pricier than your run of the mill “bad for you” seed oils. Coconut oil is a good choice as it has a high smoke point and has some very healthful qualities. Also I don’t fry things that often, so I have no need of maintaining a huge vat of oil for extended periods. This inexpensive fryer works great!
If you have a gas stove and decide to try making these in a pot on it, let me know how they turn out otherwise, I recommend a little deep fryer the one above you can get here. Then make these tasty little treats….. even the kids will like them!!
Fried Brussel Sprouts
1 Pound Brussel Sprouts trimmed and washed cut in half and towel dried
Salt to taste
- Fill your deep fryer according to manufacturer directions with coconut oil or use a small sauce pan and 1-2 cups of coconut oil.
- Heat the oil to *375 degrees
- Fry the Brussel Sprouts in little batches until the start turning brown around the edges and outside
- Lift the Brussel sprouts out of the oil and place in a paper towel lined bowl and sprinkle with salt.
- Let cool a moment and devour. Repeat until they are all cooked. Serves 1-4 People