This is hands down the easiest most delicious roast chicken you will ever make or eat. Did I mention fast too?
We raised our own meat birds last year, so chicken has been on a regular rotation for our weekly meals. (As you can see we were a little rough butchering this one, as it is missing a bit of breast skin). We had a bit of a learning curve to get the technique down. I mourn for the lost skin, which is my favorite part, but this year we will preserve the skin. ( I have 30 plus little future roast chickens I am currently raising to put in the freezer this year).
I found this recipe on Epicurious a couple of years ago and now it is my go to. It requires no time to prep and is just soooo flavorful. Check out the original recipe HERE
Below you will find my version, which is pared down to be even faster and easier, but spares not the flavor.
Easy Roast Chicken (Adapted from Epicurious)
1 (4-6) pound Roasting Chicken (pastured is preferred the meat is very flavorful)
1 TBL Sea Salt
Pepper and Salt to taste
1-3 Tsp. Dried Thyme
- Preheat the oven to *450 degrees
- Rinse your bird and dry it thoroughly with paper towels (the drier the better).
- Place into a roasting pan and salt and pepper the bird inside and out leaving a fine layer of salt on the outside skin. I tend to use around a tablespoon of salt for the outside.
- Place in the oven and cook for 45-60 minutes depending on the size of your bird and I pull it out when the internal temp hits *160 degrees
- Add 1-3 teaspoons of Thyme into the juices in the pan and Baste the outside of the chicken with the juices.
- Let rest for 15 minutes. Carve it up and devour!!