Happy Holidays! It has been many moons since I have posted, but I hope to post more in the coming new year! I have been so busy marking my 50th year, I had no time to sit down and post some recipes. Man what a fabulous year it has been. So grateful to have made it this far with so many blessings. I plan on making it 50 more healthy active years to come.
I love gingerbread and only indulge once a year, so I want the best tasting cookie for my holiday consumption. I think this year I finally perfected a great tasting simple recipe that so far has passed the taste test with friends and family alike. Give it a try and let me know what you think.
New and Improved Gluten-Free Gingerbread Men
1/2 Cup + 2 TBL Butter at room temperature
1/2 Cup Blackstrap Molasses
1/3 Cup Lakanto Sweetener or sweetener of your choice
1 Small Egg at room temperature
2 TBL Buttermilk
Zest of 1 Lemon
1 1/2 Cup Cassava Flour
1/2 Tsp. Baking soda
1/2 Tsp. Salt
1 Tsp. Ginger
2 Tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 Tsp. Cloves
1/2 Tsp. Allspice
1/4 Tsp Xanthan Gum (I find this helps to bind the flour and make it less likely to crumble)
- Preheat oven to *325 and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper or grease with butter.
- In a Standing mixer add the butter, sweetener, molasses and mix until creamed.
- Add the egg, buttermilk and lemon zest and mix to incorporate.
- Finally add the rest of the ingredients and mix until a soft dough forms.
- Let the dough rest at room temperature for 20-30 minutes.
- Roll out dough between two sheets on parchment paper to a 1/4 of inch thickness a little thicker is better. You may need to dust the parchment with some additional flour to keep it from sticking.
- Cut out your cookies and place on the cookie Sheets Bake for 6-8 minutes just until the edges start to turn golden. They will puff up and get slightly firm.
- Decorate or Frost as you please. I like them plain.
- Makes approximately 12 regular sized Gingerbread Men