Since my consumption of bread products has decreased to almost nil, I haven’t had much interest in jam. But the other day my dear friend turned me onto this delicious simple recipe she found in a cookbook she had newly acquired.
It is a vegan cookbook called ‘The Oh She Glows Cookbook’, there is also a blog by the same name. You can check out the cookbook and blog HERE. When my friend first told me about the cookbook, I was a bit skeptical as it was it was vegan, and as you know I am a bona fide meat grower, hoarder, and eater. Alas another lesson learned to keep the mind open and explore territories outside of your own realm.
She gave me a jar of this jam and it was devoured in one sitting. It is fast and easy to make, very low in sweetener and has good for your chia seeds in it to boot!!!
The rolls in the picture above are gluten-free yeast rolls made with Otto’s Cassava flour, I found the recipe on the Paleo Mom website.
Chia Jam (Adapted From The Oh She Glows Cookbook)
3 cups of Berries of your choice, Fresh or Frozen ( I used the Costco Antioxidant organic blend)
1-3 TBL Maple Syrup or Honey (I used 2 TBL of Maple Syrup and it was plenty sweet)
2 TBL Chia Seeds
1 tsp. Vanilla
- Place Berries and sweetener in a saucepan on stove and bring to a simmer on med to medium high heat.
- Simmer and stir until berries begin to soften and mash with a fork.
- Add the chia seeds and continue to simmer until the jam gets to your desired thickness.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Ladle into a glass jelly jar and store in the fridge.
- Enjoy on pancakes or ice cream or gluten-free bread products or straight out of the jar!