Hello and Happy 2017! It has been a while since I posted, but it is not for lack of material!! It is basically my poor photography skills, alas I am going to make an effort to post at least once a week from now on.
These smashed potatoes are my favorite way to eat potatoes, they are really easy to make and mark my words you won’t stop at one potato. They are crunchy and olive oil soaked like a really good french fry in a different form.
Speaking of olive oil make sure you are buying the real thing when you shop for it. Olive oil has a long history of being adulterated. So do your homework! Here is a great article on how to choose real olive oil. Once you have real olive oil you will never go back. I have a bit of an addiction to really good olive oil, it is my main fat source and does have many health benefits. This is a really great read on the history and scandal of olive oil –Extra Virginity by Tom Mueller. Your arteries and body will thank you when you do an oil change by ditching the seed oils,(canola and vegetable oils) and go for real olive oil.
10-12 Potatoes of a smaller variety (think yukon golds)
Good olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Place potatoes in large pot of water on stove and boil until the potatoes are soft. (mashable)
- Drain the potatoes and place evenly spaced on a cookie sheet.
- Proceed to “smash” the potatoes so they are flattened ( I use a metal spatula),
- Drizzle a generous amount of olive oil all over the smashed potatoes
- Bake at *375 until the potatoes are golden brown and crispy on the edges. around 35-45 minutes.
- Enjoy! Serves 4-6